World Ocean Day June 8 2012

In the story of creation from the book of Genesis it is written that:  “God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning —the fifth day.”

After making the people, God gave them the special job to  “rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

This special job is called being a steward and this term as we have learnt about life cycles and habitats so that we can do this job better.

June 8th was World Oceans Day, the day for the global community to celebrate and take action for our shared ocean. One of the greatest threats to the ocean is litter – especially of the plastic kind.

This week we have explored how the litter we drop at school can end up in the waterways around Greensborough and even eventually into the ocean.  Each year a huge amount of plastic eventually makes it into coastal waters and harms ocean life. Many animals such as seabirds, sea turtles, dolphins, and whales die every year from plastic entanglement or starvation because they fill up their stomachs on plastic they mistake for food. 

Here are some ideas we can all think about help us be better stewards of the water God created for us all.

Reduce plastic use:

Plastic water bottles. Use a reusable water bottle

Plastic bags. People use nearly 1 trillion plastic bags each year, and unfortunately, many of those end up ingested by sea turtles that mistake plastic for jellyfish. Bring your brain food to school in reusable containers rather than plastic bags.

Bin it properly.  Don’t drop your rubbish on the ground and when it goes in the bin make sure the lid always goes back on.

To help celebrate World Ocean Day we created some art works.  Next week we will be writing an exposition to help raise awareness about the litter problem we are all part of.

What types of things does your family do to reduce, recycle and reuse?

What ideas do you have that can help us to be better stewards of creation?

5 thoughts on “World Ocean Day June 8 2012

1. I love the art work you created with the product wrappers and coloured fish with the glitter! Litter is a problem at our school and it will be interesting to read your exposition writing next week.
    I hope everyone takes your advice and reduces,recycles and reuses more so as to be better stewards of our beautiful world.
    have fun
    mrs mcc

2. Being a steward means you don’t drop rubbish down the drain and don’t cut down trees. Instead you should be sensible with paper and stop littering.

from jaikaar

3. Hi Miss M

When I did the cutting that was the hardest part because there was not much of the things we see on the ground at school in the magazines…

4. Thanks for the comment Amy. Can you help answer either of the questions for this post?

5. Thankyou 2M . We watched this as a family and we all found it really interesting. This was a really good reminder why its important to put our rubbish in the bin. Our family reuses ice cream containers to hold our texters. We recycle our junk mail and letters. We try to use containers instead of glad wrap so we have no rubbish at school. The best thing is my poppy collects and recycles his Coca Cola cans for me. He saved up a trailer load and took me to Cash for Cans and I got $52.20c.I had very much fun. Another way to be a steward is to give other people your clothes. This will stop people from using so many wrappings. From Emmerson’s family. PS my sister thought it was sad so did I. thankyou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!