What was life like in our parents and grandparents day?

We have started to find out about how things have changed over time.  We know lots of experts – our parents & grandparents & our great-grandparents.  When we ask someone questions this is called an interview.  Everyone in Year Two has been asked to interview someone in their family about what life was like in the past, especially what it was like when they were at school. We want to be able to compare what school was like when they were in Grade Two to what is like for us now.

I know there are lots of mums & dads (and hopefully some grandparents) who follow our blog.

Do you have a school memory you could share with us about what school was like in the past?

Today Mrs Dickson came and shared how her life has changed over time.  She told us some very interesting things about what life was like when she was growing up. We want to say a big thank you to Mrs Dickson for helping us discover some new things and for sharing some stories about how our school has changed a lot since being built in 1955.

2 thoughts on “What was life like in our parents and grandparents day?

1. Hi 2M,
    My name is Nick and I’m Jessica M’s dad.
    My memory of my first school back in 1970 was that it was one large classroom with 28 students ranging from Grade Prep to Grade 6 with only one teacher. It was a country school. The biggest chage was when I moved in Grade 2 to a catholic school in town with about 500 students. Those days nuns ran this school and they were very strict so you had to be on your best behaviour. They also gave you lots of homework.

2. Thanks for the comment Nick :). It must have been a big change moving to the big school in town. What sort of homework did you have to do?