Addition Challenges

WHO IS UP FOR A CHALLENGE?

Who can discover what happens when an odd number is added to an even number.  What happens when you add an even number to an even number? Or an odd number to an odd number?

1. Choose an odd and an even number and add them together.  Test this for at least 5 pairs of numbers.

2. Choose an odd and an odd number and add them together. Test this for at least 5 pairs of numbers.

3. Choose an even and an even number and add them together.  Test this for at least 5 pairs of numbers.

Record your results as a statement.  For example: When you add an even number to another even number you always get a….

Will it work with a bigger number?

You can answer these questions on the blog or bring your working out to class for me to check out 🙂

If you like a challenge, you might also like to visit this website and test out your problem solving skills (whilst practicing your addition skills)

http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/Powerlines/powerlines1.html

5 thoughts on “Addition Challenges

1. When you add two even numbers you get an even number.
    When you add two odd numbers you get an even number.
    When you add an odd and an even number you get an odd number.

2. Hi Nathan,

I think that comment is about the felt monsters.

As for the addition challenge Henry has found some solutions. I wonder who else has. Bring in your working out so you can prove how you reached your solutions…

Have a great day,
    Miss M

3. I loved doing the maths challenge last night. I can’t wait until the next one.

4. Thanks Olivia,

I will put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with another maths challenge for you 🙂