3D shapes

This week we have explored the features of 3D shapes.  We have learned a lot of language to describe and name 3D shapes including edges, faces, curved surfaces, vertex/vertices and prisms.

Can you remember what all prisms have in common? What are some differences between prisms and pyramids? What is a net?

If you are having trouble answering these questions or remembering all the meanings of the different features you could make yourself a 3D shape dictionary using the online Maths dictionary to help:
http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/dictionary.html

Now for a challenge…

Can you work out what 3D shape I am thinking of?  Here are the clues:

I have 5 faces. None of my faces are curved. I have 5 vertices and 8 edges. One of my faces is a square. What shape am I?

If you know the answer,  leave a comment and post your own set of clues for the next person.  Or you could write your clues on the mystery bag: 3D guessing game and bring it into class to share.

14 thoughts on “3D shapes

1. No it is not Henry. Have another guess and can you make up your own set of clues?

2. No it is not Henry. Only one face is a square. On a triangular prism 2 faces are triangles and three faces are rectangles. There are no square faces on your guess. Have another think… 🙂

3. You got it Henry! Great persisting! I look forward to reading your clues. I wonder how many guesses I might need… 🙂

4. I know I already know the answer but I will give you clues. I have 5 faces. 2 of my faces are a triangle the rest a rectangle. I have 6 vertices. I also have 9 edges. Who am I/what shape am I?

5. Hi Miss M,
    I will bring in my 3d shape clues next week some time.
    See you on Monday.

6. A net is when you unravel a 3d shape. Pyramids came into a point and prisms don’t. They all have rectangles on them.

7. Actually prisms have faces that are triangles and a base shape that gives it its name. Prisms have rectangular faces and two bases which give it its name.