St Mary’s Grand Designs

This term the Inquiry Learning in Year has been action based.  With the mantra “See a need, fill a need” as people of justice, our goal was to take action to improve the Junior Playground.  We learnt all about the design process, we built our knowledge, we developed skills, we surveyed our clients, we sought permission, we gathered resources (on a budget), we made designs and we have FINALLY created our products 🙂

At the end of Week Nine we came dressed in our work clothes and gathered in our Action Teams.  The Games Action Team were under the charge of Miss M and with the help of some other big helpers (especially Keith – Miss M’s dad who spent two days with us and Brett – Aidan’s dad and Bob – Jared’s Pa who each did a days work) we have met our brief.  Added to the playground are now some tables for drawing or card playing; a hopscotch, two bean bag throwing games (the bucket table and the very cool monster door), a tent that is yet to be revealed and a super funky filing cabinet to store our awesome game mats and equipment.  Miss C’s Garden action team created some beautiful stepping stones to be the seats for a stage, bright coloured tyres and pellets for a new garden space, a buddy stop that will hopefully mean everyone will have someone to play with and 4 scarecrows that will protect the veggie boxes.  The last action team worked super hard with Ms W and have painted an amazing mural (that needs a few finishing touches) and made their own painted fence posts that will make the veggie boxes look very eye-catching. Not bad for two days work (and a whole term of preparing).

Now as a project manager it was not always easy to get lots of photos but here is a little snapshot of some of the work…

We had so many helpers (on the work days and those who donated resources).  It has been an amazing learning experience for us all.  Thank you to everyone who came and helped or made a donation.

I would love to hear what you thought about being part of this Action Based Inquiry Year Twos…

13 thoughts on “St Mary’s Grand Designs

1. Dear Miss M,
    I really enjoyed doing our action teams and making the junior playground better.It was really fun.

love from Bella

Dear Year Two teachers
    Thank you for planning and teaching such a great Inquiry unit for our children this term. They were so engaged and are very proud of their “action”. Keep up the great work.
    Brooke (Bella’s mum)

2. Hi Bella and Brooke,

It really has been a very fun learning inquiry. We have a lot to be proud of and hopefully the weather will clear and we can all benefit from our hard work 🙂

Thanks for the feedback.
    Miss M

3. Dear Miss M,
    It all looked fun and I was upset I missed out but I am having heaps and heaps of fun across in WA. I was in Adelaide from sat to sun. Perth from sun to thur. Busslton from thurs to sat. Hamelin Bay from sat to sun because Mum and Dad were rushing in the run to set up but the brock the steel cable that winds up the camper roof and we had to stay in a caban for two days, while it got fixed. Now we are in Albany. I miss everyone and I hope you had lots of fun doing inqury and I will see everyone at the start of term four.
    Have fun on footy fun day,
    love Jamie!!!!!!!!!

4. Hi Jamie,

Great to hear from you. Your family certainly has travelled many kilometres! What is the weather like in Albany. It has been a bit cold and rainy in Greensborough.

Thanks for the update and keep travelling safely,
    Miss M & 2M 🙂

5. Whoops trying to fix mistakes sorry about that. The weather in Abany is very rainy and it all started at Perth. Today was very cold and windy but the sun was in sight. We are hoping that the weather clears up and gets better. I forgot to tell you that there was a huge thunder storm back up in busslton and we just finished our mini golf game in Peperment park.
    Talk to you soon got to go have dinner,
    Sa ya miss ya whish you could came with me 2M ,
    Jamie.
    p.s up set that Tanya got to used the sewing machine.

6. hi Jamie,:)

it sound like you are having a great time and having lots FUN

from Jaslyn:) 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

7. Hi Jaslyn. That is not very many sleeps 🙂 I hope the weather will not be windy in Port Douglas.

8. Dear Miss M,
    I am now back at home and had safe traveling and looking forward to see what the groups have done in the past while i was gone. I missed every one but i will see then on Monday my first day back. I am exited to see every one on Monday.

9. Dear Jaslyn,
    I hope that you have a great holiday and I did have loads of fun on my WA trip and back.

10. I like working on the junior playground. My favourite part was when we got to decorate the stepping stones.