Where does food come from?

This seems like a pretty easy question.  We have demonstrated an understanding that food can be bought from a variety of types of shops such as supermarkets, butchers, bakeries etc.  We also understand that a lot of the food we buy in shops is produced somewhere else such as in a factory.  We have also been able to explain that food to begins with comes from plants or animals.  This is where things start to get a bit fuzzy.  There are many people in Grade Two who are not sure which foods grow on plants or on a tree or underground.  There are even more Grade Two students who do not know which foods come from certain animals.  Many of our classmates thought that bacon comes from sheep and many had no idea where we get lamb from.  This may be something you can be talking about at home as dinner is prepared and/or shared 🙂

Whilst we have been talking about where food comes from, we realised that a lot of us grow some of our own.  Here is a photo of my garden:

photo 2

I am growing cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, mint and thyme.

photo 1

I would love to see some photos of your vegetable & herb gardens.

One thought on “Where does food come from?

1. Thank you to Alessia who emailed through some photos of her nonna & nonno’s garden. They are very clever, even growing vegetables in an old BBQ 🙂 I have added the photos to our garden window and look forward to it growing with more images…