Time to multiply

We have been modelling multiplication equations using ARRAYS.  This is an important step to understand before focusing on times table facts. We have also been able to use our skip counting skills to help work our the total.

Students can more readily understand multiplication if they can see visual representations of the equation. For example, they can picture students in a marching band arranged in equal rows or chairs set up in rows in an auditorium. These arrangements all have something in common; they are all in rows and columns. An arrangement of objects, pictures, or numbers in columns and rows is called an array. Arrays are useful representations of multiplication concepts.

This array has 4 rows and 3 columns. It can also be described as a 4 by 3 array or 4 x 3 or the repeated addition 3 + 3 + 3 + 3.

four by three array
What number sentences match these arrays:
Can you make and label some arrays on grid paper?

4 thoughts on “Time to multiply

1. Ava loved making the arrays but she said she always got tricked about the turnaround fact.

2. Turn around facts are tricky! We are all trying to remember that the first numbers tells us how many rows to visualise (or the number of times to count) and the second number is how many is in each row )or what we are counting by). 4 x 3 is 4 rows with 3 in each (or I can think of counting by 3s four times).

3. I really like arrays But I do agree with Ava M and by the way I love maths like crazy !

See you soon Alessia

4. I love arrays and times, but I do agree with Alessia and Ava the turn around facts are a little tricky, I think we should keep working on it, I don`t think the boys will agree with me, but they are still a lot of fun.