How far can you go?

This week we explored push and pull.  The Year Twos had a go at working through the scientific process to design and build a “machine” that could be moved with a push.  this was harder than we thought it would be.

Together we then started to ask more questions about how we could make something travel further with less force and we discovered catapults.

You might like to read about catapults at this website: http://www.superchargedscience.com/science-catapults.htm  You could follow a procedural text to learn how to make one at this website: http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/28871/catapult-for-kids-to-make  You might even find another design that works by Googling “easy catapults for kids”.

Remember scientists work safely.  If you try and make one,  you would need to test your catapult responsibly and you will probably need a grown-ups help.

I would love to see some of your models and we can test them out with the ping pong balls we have in the classroom 🙂

catapult

4 thoughts on “How far can you go?

1. I worked with Siena for our push and pull project and we made a skateboard. We used cardboard, mini toy skateboards for the wheels, pipe cleaners and forks. It went really fast. We came second in the test.
    I had lots of fun.
    From Alessia

2. I do think making the cars and lots of other ones were a lot of fun. but I think it was a lot of hard work, but once more making them was a lot of fun.

3. Today I had a look at how to make a catapult. I used everything that is on there, but instead of using hot glue, I used double sided tape. I tried it and it shot from my living room table and the ping-pong ball landed behind my dad’s BBQ.

From Luca

4. Wow Luca! That sounds like a very long distance for a ping pong ball to travel. Physics has been a lot of fun to explore.

Have you been able to explain inertia to anyone? I think I have forgotten what it was. Push, pull and friction are much easier to remember 🙂