WALT to investigate: “How can we best describe shapes?”

Our subtraction unit has come to an end and the students in 2MS have made lots of great discoveries about strategies we can use to solve subtraction equations.  At home it is important that students keep practicing the automatic recall of basic number facts (addition and subtraction).  For our ten facts, doubles, near doubles and facts under 20, we really want to have automatic responses (no fingers needed) and the only way to do this is practice, practice and more practice.

Over the next few weeks we will be exploring features of 2D and 3D shapes.

I wonder if any students in 2MS know what the D stands for? What shapes can you find around your home?

Someone had a wondering about how shapes are connected to science (& engineering). I think this building might help us answer that wondering…

Federation_Square_Melbourne.I wonder if anyone knows what this building is?  What shape do you notice in this structure? Are there any other famous buildings made from the same shape? I wonder why?

3 thoughts on “WALT to investigate: “How can we best describe shapes?”

1. Great Maddie. So if a shape has 2 dimensions or 3 dimensions what does that mean? 🙂